Drum Tip of the Day:

Drum Tip: Stay loose and let the sticks do the work.

Quote of the Day:

Quote: "Every drummer that had a name, had a name because of his individual playing. He didn't sound like anybody else, So everybody that I ever listened to, in some form, influenced my taste." - Buddy Rich

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Summertime

Had a great rehearsal this evening with a band yet unnamed. We have our first gig together in a week and a few days, so we are learning and running the songs from the set. For the most part the tunes, which are covers, are coming together... still in a learning phase as we figure out arrangements, parts, and transitions.

The highlight of the rehearsal for me was the tune "Summertime" by Gershwin. We play it in a six feel rather than the standard 4/4 swing. Brush on the snare drum, cool-rod on the ride. The dynamics were totally locked in between the drums, bass, and guitar (keys couldn't make this one). Plus our singer has an amazing voice, especially on tunes like this.  I haven't experimented too much using different "drum utensils" in each hand, but I found out, at least in this tune, that it really gave me some more flexibility with dynamics. I'll probably try some different combos in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment