Drum Tip of the Day:

Drum Tip: Stay loose and let the sticks do the work.

Quote of the Day:

Quote: "Every drummer that had a name, had a name because of his individual playing. He didn't sound like anybody else, So everybody that I ever listened to, in some form, influenced my taste." - Buddy Rich

Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Drum Solo

In my experience the drum solo has been reserved the hold the audience over while the band deals with technical difficulties on stage, or needs a break. John Bonham could kill like 20 minutes with a killer drum solo. I've seen long ones from Neil Peart too. So what is it that makes an awesome drum solo? Is it speed? dynamics? groove? fills? themes and variations? Most likely all of the above and more.

Maybe a drum solo is a bit more complex than most give it credit for... something more profound than just a time-filler. I'm working on some videos, which I may have mentioned in a previous post, so I have the opportunity to experiment and hopefully create the perfect drum solo. Wish me luck! and look out for the result. Maybe my first Video-Post...  

No comments:

Post a Comment