Drum Tip of the Day:

Drum Tip: Stay loose and let the sticks do the work.

Quote of the Day:

Quote: "Every drummer that had a name, had a name because of his individual playing. He didn't sound like anybody else, So everybody that I ever listened to, in some form, influenced my taste." - Buddy Rich

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Cost of Creativity

The death of Amy Winehouse is making me think of creative personalities. Why is it that artists are so vulnerable to excess and other imbalances, chemical or not? I wonder if it is the intensity of their personalities. I read an interview where Amy Winehouse talks about her songs being a bit obsessive, which she then distances herself from regarding her personality. I bet they are more related then she led us to believe.

Then again there is the celebrity aspect to consider. Did Kurt Cobain, Hendrix, Joplin, and the rest who have died young and tragically simply give in to the pressure and use substance abuse to cope or was there more going on? A give and take between genius and unhealthy tendencies... What about Van Gogh? He was poor, unknown, and crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment