Drum Tip of the Day:

Drum Tip: Stay loose and let the sticks do the work.

Quote of the Day:

Quote: "Every drummer that had a name, had a name because of his individual playing. He didn't sound like anybody else, So everybody that I ever listened to, in some form, influenced my taste." - Buddy Rich

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Jonny Grave and company at Bella Cafe, DC - 8/14/2011

I played an awesome show the other night at Bella Cafe in DC with Jonny Grave headlining, my band (Crooked Tree), and SweetBread Jim's.

SweetBread Jim's kicked off the full band sounds with a bang! Linsay's vocals were powerful and she has amazing stage presence. The sounds that were coming from SBJ were huge and loaded with energy, especially considering they are just a three piece (Linsay Deming on vox and  guitar - John Lanou on Bass - Jon Lewis on Drums). The set ended with some impressive drum chops from Jon Lewis. You have to check out SweetBread Jim's: www.sweetbreadjims.com

Crooked Tree came on next. I have to thank Nate from the Tombstones for letting me play his drums, which was a beautiful kit with some enormous drums! A 26" kick! We played a good set to a decent size audience, especially considering it was Sunday night...thanks to everyone who came out! Crooked Tree is at www.crookedtreemusic.com

Finally, Jonny Grave and the Tombstones took the stage.  First I owe them a huge thanks for organizing the entire night from booking to collecting door to running sound. Second, they totally blew me away. I have not heard that kind of gritty, raw sounding blues live in a long time. Jonny's energy is contagious. You could definitely tell he was feeling it and his Tombstones are all amazing musicians. This is Jonny's site: www.jonnygrave.com

It was a great night with great music. I'm looking forward to playing again with SweetBread Jim's and Jonny Grave and the Tombstones in the future!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment